- 01 sep
“Green jobs in green destinations ”
In the period april 2015 – august 2017, Propark Foundation for Protected Areas and its partners Association of Ecotourism in Romania (AER) and International Commission for the Protection of the Alps in Switzerland (CIPRA) implemented the project “Green jobs in green destinations – increasing the quality of ecotourism products and destinations for higher performance in sustainable development in Romania” project co-financed by a grant from Switzerland through the Swiss Contribution to the enlarged European Union.
Why did we initiated this project?
Romania is among the first countries worldwide applying and adapting standards for ecotourism destinations and thus the need for a better management of these areas is nevertheless mandatory. Throughout the project, the emphasis was placed on the performance of ecotourism destination management, the quality enhancement of the ecotourism sectors and the overall visibility and promotion of this type of tourism in Romania.
· 1 training course for tourist guides (communication, protected areas, ecotourism and first aid) followed by the practical modules for each of the 6 ecotourism activities (hiking, horse riding, wildlife and birdwatching, water releted activities, mountain biking and ski touring);
· developing and publishing 6 guides of good practice for the 6 activities;
· registration of a new occupation in Romania – „tourism destination manager” (COR 143919);
· developing the occupational standard for „tourism destination manager” which was approved by the National Autorithy for Qualification;
· 1 pilot training course about tourism destination management held by experts from Austria and Switzerland in the period 19-22 June 2017 in Baile Tusnad;
· organazing a study trip to Switzerland for 11 people;
· 1 workshop at a national level about tourism destination management on 20 July 2017;
· 6 tourism programs evaluated and certified according to Eco–Romania certification systems;
· reprinting the promotinal brochure of ecotourism destination „Descover EcoRomania”;
· producing and printing a brochure which promotes the 6 ecotourism activities „6 Experiences for body and soul”;
· participating at 7 events for promoting the ecotourism activities in Romania such as: Bicycle Salon, Fundata Ecotourism Festival, EcoMarathon, Bookfest, Street Delivery, Transylvanian Horse Show and ExTerra Triathlon Baile Tusnad.
The total project budget was 273,713.00 CHF, of which 245,913.00 CHF represented the grant from Switzerland through the Swiss-Romanian Cooperation Programme.